Sunday, September 12, 2010

What I Learned Today #6 - It's not just you that you effect!

Speaking to my students the other day (my NEW students who I'm very excited to work with) an understanding came out that is really starting to resonate with me. It's something that I've said to students before, but I'm just now beginning to comprehend its full meaning. I often point out to students that what they do reflects on others, not just on themselves. Often, kids think that when they make certain choices (good or bad) that those choices only have effects on a personal level. However, the truth is that many more people are effected by every decision we make.

When we make choices (especially the bad ones), people around us begin to ask themselves questions. Who does this guy think he is? What's wrong with her? Didn't their parents teach them better than this? Who would want to be friends with them?

These questions have huge implications; what we do reflects on everyone who is a part of our lives. Our decisions make people challenge how well we were raised, how much they can trust us in the future, and to what extent they can befriend anyone who sides with us. I used to think of this only with respect to my students, but I realize that it's true for me and for every other educator. What we do, what we choose to say in a given situation, gives others the chance to make judgments about us.

I'll be sure (and I'll encourage my students to as well) that my choices and decisions are reflecting on me and my life the way that I want them to; after all, what I do effects more people than just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment