Saturday, July 10, 2010

What I Learned Today #1 (Painting and Rules)

Today, I spent most of my time painting my living room. We've been meaning to upgrade from the white that was on the walls when we moved in for quite a while, but only recently did I finally make the move toward getting this project done. It's gone well, and my family is really pleased with the results.

Which makes me think: Is there something that I've been putting off trying in my classroom that could really benefit my students and me? I'm the kind of teacher who comes up with 15 "really great thoughts" every day, but then either fall off in motivation or forget the ideas because I don't write them down.

This past year in my classroom, I had the idea to post three simple rules in my room. These were positively stated and clear, and I shared them with my students on the first day of school (they actually liked the way I had phrased them). However, as I wrapped up the year and got the classroom ready for the summer, I realized that I had never posted the rules. Over and over, I told myself to get to it, but never made the final motion in the right direction. In retrospect, I'm a bit upset with myself for not doing something that was very easy, but now I have the chance to make it right by starting the year with these rules clearly labeled in my classroom. A small amount of volition can have great results (whether it's my living room or my classroom).

By the way, if you're interested, the three rules are:

1) In this room, we think first.
2) In this room, we consider others' thoughts and feelings.
3) In this room, we solve problems rather than creating them.

They'll be up on the first day of school this year (and my living room will finally be a different color than boring, dull white).

No comments:

Post a Comment